Thursday, February 2, 2012

Blog Post 3

Part 1
Cartoon of a man trying to submit a paper, but his peers want to critique


For part one of this blog post assignment I was required to watch and read a series of things. The material looked at was: Paige Ellis' blog post 12, What is Peer Editing, Peer Edit With Perfection Tutorial, and Writing Peer Review Top 10 Mistakes. All of this material centered around how to peer edit. When I comment on anything posted, I always find ways to encourage the person. If I contradict or correct my peer through a comment, I always do so in as kind and respectful of a way that I can.

Part 2

Technology in Special Education

The video Technology in Special Education really helped me to realize the new opportunities for children with disabilities. I can see how technology helped these children learn how to communicate more efficiently with their teacher and their classmates. Special education teachers have quite a task in teaching children with disabilities, and I can see technology helping them in their already difficult job.

Although their are multiple possibilities with technology in the classroom, their are also multiple draw backs. Educators should seek to find the least restrictive environment for children with disabilities. Technology could or could not be beneficial to certain children. Technology could hinder some children with attention disabilities, and with other children technology could benefit. My opinion is that educators should be aware of the child's learning ability and what helps and distracts that child's potential. Basically use technology wisely.

How the Ipad Works with Academics for Autism

After watching the YouTube video How the Ipad
works with Academics for Autism
I realized that the Ipad can be a learning tool for children.I worry that certain applications will restrict children from thinking on their own, but for most children with disabilities these educational applications can be very beneficial. I could see using these applications for children with disabilities, but in regular education classes the use of applications shouldn't necessarily by excluded but included as needed.

In the Apple app store if found the Britannica Kids: Volcanoes App to be very beneficial to special education children. The volcano application seemed to be very interesting, and a great tool to capture and retain the attention of children. The use of the app should be limited but included when needed to study the function of and geographical location of Volcanoes.

Gary Hayes Social Media Count

In this blog post I was directed to view Garys Social Media Count. This count is very astonishing and shows the technological inflation that is taking place. There are numerous people around the globe that know about the new technological era, but i'm sure that no one understands at what great rate this is occurring. I predict in the future the world will become united through these social networks. I can very easily foresee business' like the post office and news papers going out of business due to the new era of technology.

Technology will greatly affect my future, and not just my personal life but my life as an educator. I do not foresee technology prohibiting educators from lecture and discussion, but I do foresee technology being included in the future of education. Technology, as it applies to education, is not limited to resources alone. I can see educators using social networks like twitter, and google to aid in peer discussion as monitored by the instructor. I do not however, know how distractions on the internet will be prohibited and enforced, but the one thing I know is that education will incorporate technology in the future.

Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today

Michael Wesch, the creator of the video A Vision of Students Today conveyed a very powerful message. I agree with some of the points that Michael made in his video, but I also disagree with certain aspects of his video. Students will be more responsive with pictures, video's, and different ways to communicate what they have learned. Students could be able to grasp a better understanding of material through technology.

With all of the positives centered around using technology in the classroom, and all of the benefits of incorporating technology, I do see certain problems that will occur when trying to incorporate technology. One problem that will arise is the distraction of the students. I feel that if a student is given access to the internet in a classroom then the students attention could be distracted form the lecture at hand. This leads me to a second problem that will arise. I feel that technology should be used in moderation when it comes to the core classes, and used more frequently when it comes to technology classes.

1 comment:

  1. Well done. I would've liked to read a little more of your opinion on peer editing, though.

    ReplyDelete