Tuesday, February 28, 2012

C4K Summary for February

picture of a computer that has the caption, comments for kids


C4K #1
For my first C4K assignment I was assigned to Ana. Ana is in Mr. Chamberlain's 8th grade class. Ana's teacher Mr. Chamberlain told Ana to create her own classroom and describe how she would run that classroom. Ana created a very festive classroom and said that she would allow every child to run around all day. At the end of the day Ana stated that she would ask her students to write a paper about what they learned. In the comment that I left for Ana I told her who I was and why I was leaving a comment on her blog. I congratulated her for the classroom that she created and I congratulated her for her "hands on" approach to teaching her class. I did add that organization was an important asset to learning.

C4K #2
For my second C4K assignment of the month I was assigned to Ben Frostestad's blog. The last assignment that Ben wrote about was his interests. He described briefly the things that he enjoys doing, and Ben really enjoys working on engines of all types. I encouraged Ben to pursue his interest and told him that he and I had similar interests. I told Ben that I am a student at the University of South Alabama , and I told him that I really enjoyed reading about his hobby. I also told him that I really enjoy making things. When I was younger I really enjoyed working on motor's just like he does now. I went on to tell him that I really enjoyed his blog post.


C4K #3
For my third C4K assignment of the month I was assigned to Madison's class blog. Madison is in Mrs. Garcia's fourth grade class. Madison wrote about her research that she did about Mardi Gras in New Orleans. I congratulated her on her extensive research and I told her that the knowledge she obtained through her research exceded the knowledge of a university student that is native to that culture. The next paragraph is my comment.

Hello Madison, my name is Keeley Bryan and I am a student at the University of South Alabama. I really enjoyed reading your class blog! I am from Mobile, Alabama which is the city where Mardi Gras originated. New Orleans is the city which holds the largest celebration for the holiday. I learned a great deal of information from your blog post, and your research is far more in-depth than the knowledge I have obtained about the event. This is something that you should be extremely proud of. Your research about Mardi Gras has provided you with more knowledge about the event than a university student that is native to the culture. Great job Madison! Feel free to check out my class blog.

C4K #4
For the last C4K assignment of the month I was assigned to a child who was given the nickname "Cookie". Cookie's blog post was aimed toward allowing children to have cellphones for emergency reasons. Cookie's main thesis centered on the idea that 797,530 kids get lost each year. Cookie included some excellent points and provided a well organized post. I told Cookie that allowing children to use a cellphone for emergencies is a great idea although, there access should be limited to emergencies. Here is the comment that I posted...

Dear Cookie, my name is Keeley Bryan and I am a student at the University of South Alabama. I really enjoyed reading your blog post. You brought out some extremely good points about children having cellphones. Children do get lost everyday and cellphones could be a way of rescue for those children. You brought out some great points in your post, but there are some negative points involved with allowing children to have cellphones. I personally do not believe that children should have access to smart phones, and I feel that a child's use of the phone should be limited. I feel that a child's access to the phone should be limited to emergency use as your research stated. You did a great job with your research and I benefited from viewing your blog. I am extremely impressed at the organization of your blog post.

3 comments:

  1. Good job.

    I'm curious what your reasons are for letting a child have only limited use of a cell phone. Why do you think they shouldn't have their own smart phone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel that there are multiple benefits associated with allowing teens the access to cell phones. Cell phones can teach responsibility, and can provide safety for a teenagers who drives. My main argument applies to kids under the age of 16. A child, under the driving age, who receives transportation by a parent has no reason to own a cell phone in my opinion. Most school systems restrict the use of cell phones by students, and the majority of a child's social interaction consists of school, extracurricular activities, and home life. I believe strongly that a child's home life is the most important aspect of his or her life. Family time provides for: discussions, discipleship, and parental engagement. With that said, I personally believe that a cell phone is not a good idea for a child who lives under these conditions; although, these conditions are not always the case. Some children spend most of their day apart from their parents, and some children are forced to take on responsibility that their peers are not. In such situations I find that it would be a great, and sometimes necessary, idea for a child to own a cell phone. Safety and communication are extremely important, thus I find it to be a good idea for children to have cell phones under certain conditions.

      The limited access to cell phones and the restriction of smart phones are similar in the respect that parents should be totally mindful of where their child invests the majority of his or her time. A child's mind is extremely moldable, and parents should passionately seek to restrict their child's intake of inappropriate media. This limitation will not necessarily make children ignorant of the corruption in the world, but it will filter that corruption and allow parents to teach a child how to discern between what is appropriate and what is inappropriate. To allow a child unlimited access to the internet is a terrible mistake in my opinion. A child's access to the internet should be under strict parental controls, and under the constant watch of an adult.

      My goal is not to rob a child of the benefits associated with technology, but rather to limit: negative media, inappropriate websites, and any social involvement that might rob a child of family involvement. Social involvement is extremely important, but I fear that our society has forgotten how extremely important the family unit is. Sorry for such a long reply, and I appreciate your question.

      Keeley Bryan

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete