Sunday, April 29, 2012

Blog Post #13

computer that has been thrown out of a window
Challenge accepted!!! This was the phrase that immediately popped into my head after reading the instructions for Blog Post #13, but upon accepting this challenge I had no clue how hard it would be to accomplish. The challenge was to abstain from the use of technology for 24 hours. I immediately saw the benefit of suppressing my technological addiction, and this is because of the time that I waste using unproductive media. I was more than happy to accept this challenge; although, I do wish that the assignment would have been given at an earlier time in the semester. The end of the semester is an extremely strenuous time for any student, and unfortunately the majority of my school work revolves around technology.  Abstaining from technology will be impossible for me to accomplish, but I do plan to abstain from every technology that is not school related. My goal is to abstain from: social networks, blogging, email, music, videos, television, internet searching, and any use of my iPhone other than making or receiving phone calls. With my newly created rules I have most likely disqualified myself from the original fast, but I was curious to know how I would handle 24 hours without technological enjoyment.

This fast was one of the hardest things for me to accomplish, and it helped me to realize how dependent I have become on technology. I was able to successfully complete the media fast, and it helped me realize how technologically dependent my life has become. I feel that I have ended this assignment with many different thoughts concerning my use of technology. It really depresses me to realize how dependent I have become on technology for my enjoyment. I know that I MUST be technologically literate as a citizen of the 21st Century, but I can not stand the idea of being addicted or totally controlled by technology. All I remember is the desire to check my iPhone to see who might have contacted me through social networking or email. I believe strongly that I should have total control over my desires, and all that I remember was trying to suppress the desire to use technology. Don't get me wrong, technology is extremely beneficial and I do see a need in my life to be well versed in the workings of technology, but I can not stand the thought of knowing that I have fallen under the control of technological desire.

I have no trouble understanding a student's addiction to technology when I examine my own practices. I do wonder at times how schools can restrict the inclusion of technology when technology is the very thing that children spend the most time using. I know quite well that students will enter my classroom with a good knowledge of technology, and I do plan to take full advantage of this knowledge to enhance my class. Schools need to be institutions that are willing to educate students on the things that they will use most in their lives, and in our modern day culture, technology is used most often. As stated earlier I feel that anything in excess can be a bad thing, and I do feel that schools should limit the use of technology to a healthy extent. I personally feel that it does a student good to participate in class lectures and activities, but to completely restrict the inclusion of technology in the class can be a hindering action.
I came away with the same mentality toward the inclusion of technology in the classroom as I had before, but I definitely plan to modify my own personal use of technology.

1 comment:

  1. You understood the point of the exercise. Teach your students how to use technology for learning and not only for entertainment or for social reasons. They will be even less likely able to escape the constant use of technology.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete