Thursday, March 8, 2012

First progress report on PLN Project # 10

home screen of iGoogle

Before entering EDM310 I had never heard of a Personal Learning Network. While working on blog post #7 this week my eyes were opened to the benefits associated with developing a Personal Learning Network. When asked to undertake this assignment I had slight difficulty organizing and creating my own PLN, but to my surprise I have actually been developing my PLN all semester in EDM310. My problem then went from organizing and creating to organizing and stating what my PLN actually consists of.

Generally I will use two web browsers which are Google Chrome and Apple's Safari. Both of these web browsers help me to organize the websites that I visit and bookmark on a regular basis. I do generally tend to use Google Chrome more than Safari, and I prefer my welcome screen to be iGoogle. iGoogle provides plenty of amazing tools that I am able to utilize in developing an organized Personal Learning Network. iGoogle allows me to put gadgets on my home screen which link me to various websites and that help me in my learning experience. With iGoogle I see the most current events every time that I log onto my computer. Safari also provides me a number of beneficial tools that helped me in developing my PLN.

screen shot of safari home page

twitter home screen

My Personal Learning Network is not limited to my welcome screen nor multiple websites, but my PLN also includes peers and fellow researchers through social networks such as twitter and Facebook. I enjoy using Facebook to connect with peers, but I have found no better way of communication than through Twitter. I actually find twitter to be the most efficient way to communicate. I also enjoy using Google+ but the only problem that I have encountered with Google+ is the lack of users. With assets such as the +1 button Google+ would benefit me far more than Facebook and Twitter. My PLN in no where near completed and is a growing process. I wait in anticipation for the future development of my PLN.

1 comment:

  1. Well done and well-written! You heeded my suggestions and it turned out great! Also, great use of technology. Keep up your PLN!
    Carly

    ReplyDelete